Safety protocols for in-person camps at UAB may include daily temperature checks, staggered pickup and drop-off, small group classes, masking, distancing, and outdoor performances/art galleries .
In-person musical theater and visual arts summer camps will be presented by ArtPlay at the University of Alabama at Birmingham this summer.
Three musical theater camps and two visual arts camps for children ages 7-14 and 10-18 for summer 2021 are accepting registrations now. Consult the list of courses and register on AlysStephens.org.
All camps will be registered with the UAB Youth Protection Program and ArtPlay is preparing for many scenarios; UAB protocols and the UA system in place for in-person summer camps are based on the current environment and are subject to change. These may include:
- Daily temperature checks
- Staggered pick-up/drop-off
- Current social distancing guidelines
- Small group lessons
- Outdoor shows/art galleries
ArtPlay Musical Theater Camps
- Camp 1, for 7-14 year olds, with director Jennifer Salvant. From 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday from June 7 to 18. The cost is $420; the class capacity is 40.
- Camp 2, for ages 7-14, with director Valerie Lemmons. 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday from June 21 to July 2. The cost is $420; the class capacity is 40.
- Intensive Camp 3, for 10-18 year olds, with director Reid Watson. From 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday from July 12 to 30. The cost is $580; the class capacity is 40.
ArtPlay Musical Theater campers will be introduced to musical theater with a variety of fun classes. They will learn acting, improvisation, warm-ups, dance, vocal exercises, voice and diction, terminology, acting and stage production, while developing a character and rehearsing for a complete musical production at the end of the camp. Older campers in Camp Three will have an additional week for masterclasses – a week of intensive lessons in improvisation, musical theater dance, voice, character development, acting and auditioning.
ArtPlay Visual Arts Camps
ArtPlay’s award-winning visual arts camps offer lessons in drawing, painting, sculpting, crafts and more. Each day offers a new discovery and at the end of the camp the students will have their own art exhibition. Two sessions are planned.
- ArtPlay Visual Arts Camp A, ages 7-12, 9am-3pm Monday-Friday June 28-July 2. The cost is $300; the class capacity is 20.
- ArtPlay Visual Arts Camp B, ages 7-12, 9am-3pm Monday-Friday July 19-23. The cost is $300; the class capacity is 20.
ArtPlay is eager to get students back into the buildings safely, said director Heath Mixon.
“Your children will have an amazing art education experience,” Mixon said. “They will be surrounded by friends, old and new. They will be accompanied by their favorite artists and educational advisers. They will have fun and create memories that will last a lifetime.