Augusta Barn Theater announces 2021 75th anniversary season
The Barn Theater’s 75e the season will arrive after all! The Augusta Theater has changed the season to run from July to October, but there will be special events in June. Normally, the season runs from May to September, but there hasn’t been a season in 2020 as the pandemic has made theaters dark everywhere.
This summer, The Barn is bringing back several proven audience favorites, including Mama Mia, Jesus Christ Superstar, and The Rocky Horror Show. Dolly Parton’s 9 to 5: The Musical will also be staging along with SpongeBob Squarepants: The Broadway Musical.
A special 75e The Diamond Jubilee Gala Weekend celebration will take place on June 25, 26 and 27 with live performances, food, music and appearances from the famous Barnies.
And the films recorded on the Barn Theater stage will kick off the season with special screenings. Each performance will be followed by the famous Bar Show which immediately follows in the rehearsal hangar.
“We look forward to seeing everyone at the barn again this summer, fall and winter. We have missed everything about our summer seasons. We have worked hard with further improvements to ensure our 75e summer is the best there is. And, without the love and support of our Patrons, Barnies and community, we wouldn’t be here. The support we have received over the past year has been tremendous and we are overwhelmed by the continued love and support. We can’t wait to see everyone at the Diamond Jubilee Gala celebration kick off our 75th anniversary! Shared Brendan and Penelope Ragotzy.
Barn Theater Season 2021 Programming
Films recorded on the Barn Theater stage will kick off the season with special screenings. Each performance will be followed by the famous Bar Show which immediately follows in the rehearsal hangar.
- From June 8 to 13, see IN HOT WATER written by Patrick Hunter
- From June 15 to 20, see THE WHISTLE PIG’S REVENGE written by Brendan Ragotzy
Barn Theater Weekend Special
June 25-27, the 75th anniversary gala
Barn Theater Main Season Programming
- From July 6 to 18, Dolly Parton’s 9 to 5 THE MUSICAL!
- July 20 – August 1, MAMMA MIA!
- August 3 – 15, SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS, THE BROADWAY MUSICAL
- August 17-29, JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR
- August 31 – September 12, Double 0 69, written by Brendan Ragotzy
- September 14-19, BEN HUR (A comedy)
- September 21 – 26, A SLIPPERY SLOPE, written by Patrick Hunter
- October 22 – 31, THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW
Other special events will take place throughout the season to truly celebrate 75 years of live theater, the Barn Theater Apprentice Actor Program, as well as many Famous Barnies alumni.
- From July 11 to 12, they will show the movie Raunch and Roll. This will be the only theatrical presentation in Michigan after the national release on June 1! It’s an extremely special screening. Not only was most of the filming done in Michigan, but some cast and crew will be in attendance.
- On November 4, 5, 6 and 7, Tom Wopat, a favorite Barn Theater son, and his band will perform on the main stage.
- From December 10 to 21, the holiday season will conclude the 75e year with the 8th annual Christmas Cabaret in the hangar.
While the scene was dark during the 2020 season, many upgrades were added to the Barn Theater including an extension of their liquor license to apply to the grounds, a second bar was added at the back of the barn, a new silo memorabilia museum and store will open later this summer along with many other significant maintenance updates and improvements to the property’s structures.
Closer to the start of the season, safety policies and protocols were updated, in line with guidance from public health officials at the time. Rest assured that the safety and well-being of our company, customers and supporters will be at the forefront
For more information on the season, show details, ticket information and more, visit www.barntheatreschool.org. The ticket office opens Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 10 a.m.