Hfans of onolulu musical theater can feel free to sing along this week after hearing that the latest edition of Broadway in hawai’i will feature the hawaiian debut of the highly anticipated Hamilton from December 2022 to January 2023. The touring company of the revolutionary musical first written and sung and rapped by Lin-Manuel Miranda is making headlines for a new season at the Blaisdell Concert Hall.
The season also includes the Hawaiian debut of Belle — The Carole King Musical. And the three-show package includes the return of Andrew Lloyd Webber Cats, who turned out to have as many lives as his namesakes are credited with, after his debut in 1982. Magicspace Entertainment director Bruce Granath praised Honolulu audiences, city officials, concert hall staff , the Machinists Union and Mayor Rick Blangiardi for making the new season a reality in an announcement held at the Stage Restaurant on Thursday, December 2nd.
SEE ALSO: Here’s How Honolulu’s Resilient Arts Organizations Are Behaving During The Pandemic
Season tickets for all three shows start at $ 181, for weekday performances, and are now on sale at broadwayinhawaii.com. Those who purchase season tickets will be among the first to gain access to individual tickets for each show and any added performances. And the revamped schedule also includes the ability to get tickets for the rescheduled engagement of Jersey Boys when buying season tickets, says Granath. Those who have already bought Jersey Boys no need to buy them back, he added, for performances now scheduled for September 2022.
The previous success of shows that included Bad and The Phantom of the Opera has earned Honolulu a regular stopover for touring Broadway shows, both Blangiardi and Granath noted.
SEE ALSO: Proposed 2021 closure of Blaisdell center delayed
Blangiardi says he’s seen all four musicals and will happily see them all again, this time without having to spend the time and money to leave the state.
The 2022-2023 Broadway in Hawai’i season includes:
- April 19-24, 2022: Beautiful — The Carole King Musical with the story of King’s remarkable rise to stardom, from successful songwriter to becoming one of the most successful solo acts in popular music history.
- Dec 15 2022 – Jan. 29, 2023: Hamilton (Performances from December 8 to 14 are reserved for season ticket holders) HamiltonAmerican Founding Father Alexander Hamilton’s outlook on life blends hip-hop, jazz, R&B and Broadway and has won numerous awards and accolades for his fresh and diverse approach.
- June 13-18, 2023: The return of Cats promises new sound design, staging and choreography for the musical based on TS Eliot’s poems.
The season includes an additional commitment that was postponed from a May 2020 performance due to the pandemic.
- 13-25 Sep 2022: Jersey Boys is the hit musical based on the story of singer Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons and how the four friends survived various ups and downs.
We have gone through the process of purchasing season tickets. Here is how it works.
- Season ticket holders will lock their dates and seats upon purchase. Options are for evening performances Tuesday through Sunday and mornings Saturday and Sunday. The last time we checked on Friday December 3rd, the shows with the most availability were Wednesday evenings. Saturday night there were the fewest seats left.
- We found that several of the cheaper seats were still open every night. Rear balcony rows cost $ 180 for weeknights and $ 190 for weekend shows.
- Keep in mind that each user is limited to purchasing nine subscriptions.
- When choosing your seats, be aware that you cannot leave just one seat available in a row. So, for example, if you go with a party of seven and there are eight seats left in a single row, you won’t be allowed to buy just seven.
- Season ticket holders will be allowed to purchase additional tickets prior to the opening of public sales.